Blog by Riley Missel (Student Athlete, Dedicated Yogi, and Finisher of Invoke’s 30 Day Challenge)
7 Things I Learned Doing Yoga 7 Days a Week at Invoke Studio:
- Some days, yoga is hard and your muscles are tight and you feel like a mess compared to the flexible fairy beside you, and it will be such a relief to get into your car after class…because you can finally fart. You will have those days, and that’s okay.
- Daily yoga helps you become better friends with yourself. The things you learn (like that you have chronically tight quads or are overly talkative to people on the mats around you) are things you eventually learn to love about yourself. You learn to celebrate flaws along with your beauty, and treat yourself the way you would a good friend.
- “Turbo Dog” is an actual pose.
- Barre Effect classes are hard! But it gets easier if you pretend you’re in the New York Ballet.
- Practicing something every day teaches you how to learn, fail, and continue to practice. When you learn patience and a playful attitude by practicing arm balances, you can use that mindset to practice generosity, kindness, or mad skateboard skills. It’s freeing to be okay with the learning process and step outside your comfort zone.
- The instructors at Invoke are really passionate about what they do. By gently planting the seeds of self-acceptance, contentment, joy, and gratitude, they spread little bits of world peace and happiness, student by student.
- We’re all in this together- and we’re all just looking for a little peace and love in this crazy world.
For me, this challenge was the beginning of a wonderful (and more dedicated!) practice and a calmer way of being. To the instructors, friends, fellow students, and Otis the Dog at Invoke: thank you so much for making these past 30 days meaningful and memorable days of growth, exploration, and fun. Namaste.